The Workplace Equality Fund aims to support Scottish Businesses to identify and promote practice that works to reduce employment inequalities, discrimination and barriers in the workplace.
In 2018/2019 the fund focused on four priority groups, one of which was Women. Of the twenty two projects funded, nine focused on breaking down barriers in the workplace for women.
Some of the most striking highlights from the nine projects include:
- 5 meaningful work opportunities created for BME women and 7 individuals employed
- Honest conversations between employers and BME women about challenges faced by BME women in recruitment and sustaining and progressing in employment
- Development of Mums Returning to Work online training tools for employers and employees
- 10 businesses from the finance sector participated in the Women Returners programme where the employer received consultancy and support and 10 women returners benefitted from 16 week placements. 9 women were offered permanent employment following these placements.
- Flexible working introduced in several organisations making the organisations more attractive to a diverse range of applicants, many of which are women.
The focus of the Workplace Equality Fund is to create more diverse and inclusive workplaces so everyone in Scotland has the opportunity to fulfill their potential. With well over a third of these projects committed to breaking down barriers for women, this will result in a more equal and more fair society.